Jan 4, 2006

Concept of NON - MALE

Hey, you shouldn't worry, as I am not going to write anything about the 50:50 public or stuff anywhere related to that world. In this article I'll write about the empowerment of woman in highly technical fields especially in engineering side.

When I search my database for the name of the women who established themselves as the leaders in this field, I found that there are very few entries. You can blame it to the traditionally male dominated society or to my poor general knowledge. I have left this decision to you only. The very first name which strike my mind is Kalpana Chawala. Some others are ......... no, there is no other name in my database. Even if I will try to do this recalling exercise for rest of the world, Marie Curie is the only name. Even she is a chemist by profession, whereas we will limit ourselves to the core engineering only.

Nevertheless, hats off to these ladies. Also I don't think, if the similar question will be asked to any normal citizen of this world (a.k.a. normal IQ, normal EQ and normal SQ), he will be able to tell about more ladies.
Don't be surprise. This is a fact.

I was unaware of this fact till 2001. At that time I was in school and had not spent any time for this specific research. But in the same year, after completing my 12th from the Xavier's, I appeared for the JEE. Unfortunately, or fortunately (Subject to individual's perception) I got through this and took admission in one of the elite universities. The very first day, demography of the class shocked me. There were only six girls in our batch(Total strength was 125). Later I came to know about the major reason of this imbalance which is the nature of the major engineering subjects taught at the university.

When I enquired about this demographic imbalance to some of my friends studying at some other good engineering institutions like IIT or NITs, the result was unbelievable. The ratio is more or less same in all the good colleges. After going through more details, I come to a theory, which is as follows.
  1. The number of girls studying in engineering institutions is inversely proportional to the quality of the respective institution.
  2. Studying medicine and engineering are entirely discrete phenomenon, which uses different cells of human mind.
These facts can be well supported by the comparison of number of female students in different colleges. Here I do not want to comment on the level of intelligence, as per related with the engineering skills, among the boys and girls. But you can easily figure this out after going through the detailed demographical data.

People are talking about women empowerment in India. But is it really happening in the engineering field. I don't think so. Also I don't think that women reservation policy will work here, as they are trying in Indian parliament. Also this will be a totally wrong strategy, if this idea will materialize in future. We should better find out some other reasons and then some other steps to...(What are we trying to do here.)

Two days before I was reading about some college fest held in IIT Bombay, in a leading newspaper. Some boys had been found referring their female batchmates as NON- MALES. They didn't think that girls studying at premier engineering institute fall under female category. Remember all this was said in a jolly and non-teasing atmosphere. This is one of the universal statements, which has been used for making fun of each other. As I have also witnessed, there is a humor associated with this. This treatment is not related with any specific girl; rather this is an indication of the low percentage of female students in premier engineering colleges. Nevertheless, it has been observed, according to the newspaper, that the girls coming out of these colleges are more confident and more successful in the life as compared to other girls.

Whatever be the case, but the use of this word NON-MALE in this context makes me laugh and think weather anybody outside of these colleges has ever noticed the low turn out of female engineers(I am referring to good engineers from some of the esteemed engineering colleges). Hey, don't put this idea in front of a lady politician. Otherwise very soon Government has to provide the reservation to girls in the top bracket engineering college.

I was just kidding. Don't think that I am a male chauvinist, rather I am an avid supporter of the feminism and want to contribute something for the upliftment of the fair sex.




1 comment:

  1. Interesting Hypothesis; Current statsistics seem to verify it also.

    P.S. Off hand I cant recall even 1 top notch female in the engineering streams

    ReplyDelete