Jul 21, 2008

Loo, Monas and Rupiyah in Jakarta


Monas is a national monument, built to celebrate the freedom of Indonesia (Ofcourse in Indonesia, Jakarta). I don't know much history behind it, except one thing from my history books  that it stands for the people's determination to achieve freedom and the crowning of their efforts in the Proclamation of Independence in August 1945. Anyways, we happened to go there on a sunny sunday afternoon. After taking the tickets and waiting in the queue for 2 hours, our turn came and the lift took us to the top of the MONAS, which was 130 odd meters tall. Seeing the world from those heights has always fascinated me. Last week only, I got the chance to see the KL skyline from a height of 430 meters. And yes, one thing; this is much different than looking down from the plane (As I think it lacks sense of control, however I even enjoy that too.)

One interesting thing happened there. I had to to take a loo break; so I found one toilet. Their system (bole to paisa dene ka system, bakin sab to default hi rahta hai) was similar to the sulabh sauchalayas in India. So I asked How much for the smaller loo break. And his answer was "1000 rupiyah"  - SHOCKER. Now this is the problem if you are not aware of the currency conversion factor and you visit a new place. It used to be
one indian rupee back in Mumbai for the same, how can it be 1000 rupiya here. After some head scratching and expert NRI consulting, I came to know that I USD is near about 9000 indonesian rupiyah and that will make the loo charge some four indian rupees which was kind of ok. Needless to say that I paid 1000 rupiyah and completed the ritual.

So two things to note here if you visit this part of the world. Be ready  to pay 1000 rupiya for a loo break, if need be and always take the consultancy from a NRI there, which may be a Non Reliable Indian or any of your Non resident Indian friends there. And don't forget to put this MONAS a must watch in your "to do" list.


No comments:

Post a Comment