Jul 19, 2008

Euro cup, Wimbledon etc etc...

Past few months have been different with respect to the choices I have made in selecting the sports quota on TV. For the first time after Italy beat Germany in the world cup final, I watched a full game of football starting from the sensational quarterfinal win of Russians. Then came the tame defeat of Russians followed by the all-round performance of Spain in the final against germany. I enjoyed the Euro final as it was the fight among equals and finally the better team won. So that was  my rendezvous with football last month.

And then came Wimbledon. For little background, just want to update that I saw the french open final - full match on tv and then I decided to watch the Wimbledon final. It was a great  effort from my side as this place KL's time is two hours and thirty minutes behind the Indian time,  which in turn is 5:30 hrs behind the  UK time. I heard Federer complaining before the match that  Nadal is too slow between the points and
takes undue advantage. On the other hand, heard Nadal  saying that he is ready and someday his time will come.

Everybody wished that this day come today but nobody was ready for that. With some extraordinary forehands and better stamina , Nadal took a tame lead of 2-0. And then-after everybody witnesses  why Federer had won last four wimbeldons. In the midst of clouds and rain, federar took the game  right to the last point of last set. Nadal finally won, as he has too, but I think this win came one or two season earlier than it should have been.

Anyways, It was a good time for spanish sport. They won a fabulous match against Germany at Euro cup (And that was after 40 odd years) and then came Nadal truimphment at grass. They must be wishing that Alonso shouldn't have left McLauren. At the end, I keep on wondering when will one see India's name in these lists..

No comments:

Post a Comment