Dec 30, 2005

Yahoo messenger

I guess, the very name of Yahoo is getting synonymous with the internet. No internet savvy can deny that. So I don't see the need to explain about the services offered by the yahoo messenger. I can say that yahoo messenger is the best IM service offered till date, atleast for me. In some distant past I used to like MSN messenger as well, but most of my friends are not using this; so I failed to carry out my interest in it any further.

Now you will ask, what made me write about it. The thing is, recently YM has developed some problems in
proxy setting at my computer. Therefore I could not logged in YM for last couple of weeks and finding myself missing something in office hrs. It doesn't mean that I am wasting my office hrs for useless chat on YM, rather it gives me a feeling that I am connected to other people as well while working in my office. One can't deny the importance of mobile phone in this regard, but Yahoo messenger is something different.

I remember the days, when I was in the first year of university; the number of hours which I spent on YM is countless. Albeit most of these hours involved chatting uselessly with some total strangers, but it made me happy at that time. We used to rush to the computer centre after the last period of the day, just to get a compuer having messenger installed on it. The plot was little different in night when there were only two computers in the computer room at our hostel for the entire hostel populataion. But I remember that I used to be in selected few who wait till the morning 4 o'clock to get their bit.

Eventually we got the internet connection at our room in later part of the third year, but till that time we were saturated with the useless chatting on YM. So at that time onwards we have started using YM to chat with friends only. In-between a dispiriting phase came when YM was blocked by the administration due to the heavy traffic and problems of IP conflict. But boys at our college (It should be same for other colleges, I guess.) are very smart, as they found some way to overcome that restriction with the help of two other softwares like hopster and gaim. But I can assure you of one thing that people had really googled (This usage is correct, if I am not wrong) hard to find out this solution. That's precisely what some of of our bright software professionals (batchmates) have to do in the future. Overall we were never devoid of the pleasure and services offered by YM.

So here it was, the story of YM. I will tell you about my first encounter with internet some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment