Dec 29, 2005

24 x 7 News channels

I am writing this particular blog just because I freaked out when I saw this news coverage on some channel which is trying real hard to fill the slots in its 24 x 7 non stop service.

It was a news involving the biggest star of the millennium, none other than Amitabh Bacchan. AB has been suffering from some bad health for last one month or so. No, I didn't gross out due the extensive coverage of his hospital stay on the mass media. He is having such a stature that this type of things bound to happen.

This particular news was related to his visit to TIRUPATI temple alongwith his family, after he was released from the hospital. And the direct correspondent of the esteemed news channel was giving the live coverage of that, answering the following questions of his colleague present in the headquarters..

1. What is AB thinking while entering the temple premises.
2. What prayer he has offered there.

3. Was there any reason to visit the temple.
4. Was there something speacial in the assistance offered by Pujaris.
5. Is there any contribution of Anil Ambani in the planning of this trip.
6. Weather people were happy to see AB in temple premises or they were just involved in their prayers.
7. Lots and lots of question like that..

I am not against this type of news reporting. Also I am not complaining why AB is getting this type of media treatment. Instead I am a big fan of him. Is there anything wrong if I expect something more meaningful from these news channels. Okay, they informed the public about AB's visit to TIRUPATI, but it should be left to that only. In my view they shouldn't try to analyze what prayers anybody is offering in a temple.

One fortnight ago, I read in Times of India, that Mr. Murthy has requested to the editor that only positive news should be covered on the frontpage of the newspaper, as it is the first thing we see in the morning. I like that idea. Yes, reporting of bad or evil things present in the society is also the responsibilty of media. But these news should be presented in such a way that it should give an overall positive impact on any mind. The presentation should be in such a way so that people will try to refrain from evilness.

The whole idea of this blog is to express my expectation from the media. I want the news coverage to be more positive, more meaningful and more helpful in building a good society. I don't want to see only crime reports or some useless crap, whenever I switch my TV on after returning home after working whole day in the office.

I don't know weather you people agree to this point or not, or I have presented my views clearly or not; but I know one thing for sure that some changes are necessary in the present working of media to make it more beneficial to the society as well as the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment