Oct 24, 2012

I too want to run for a cause..



This is what I wrote for applying for a place in Mumbai Marathon and now I have been confirmed a slot for Half-marathon. All the energy shown at the time of writing the email vanished in a minute after seeing the acceptance :) . The event is scheduled on 20th January  almost 125 days away. But the idea of running 21 point something kilometers in less than three hour is itself too scary, to say the least. I dread the idea of just standing somewhere still for one hour.

Normally I go to gym thrice in a quarter and run for like 2.5 kilometers on treadmill in 25 odd minutes.  That roughly translates in 12 kilometers of aggregate physical running I do in a year. Besides this, I never indulge myself in any physical activity for the sake of fitness. No surprise, I weigh 82 kg now. BMI index falls just outside the upper range suggesting slightly overweight body. Last jeans I bought was 36″ in size which is a clear 4″ more than what I
used to wear 2 years back.  Some fat has accumulated at wrong places  :). I do feel that lack of any physical exercise and recent jump in my travelling (with changed food habits and all)  will be detrimental for my health in long run. Somehow I have never been able to go to gym for three consecutive days even though I am a member of Gold Gym for last 4-5 years.

Given the history, I want to take up this half marathon as a challenge to move closer to a healthy body. I went to many websites to see what does it take to complete a half marathon, and the result was at least 12 weeks of dedicated running practice aided with a good nutrition program.   All I have is 11 weeks for preparation and I will be starting from Zero. I will try to log my running activity on this blog.

To Marathon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment