Jan 9, 2010

2 books and 3 idiots

Watched "3 idiots" few days back and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of the best movies this year, I'd say. Considering that it is based on the book "Five point someone" and the media rounds about the ugly spat between the author and the lead actor from the movie; my verdict is that the movie has done full justice to the spirit of the book, not sure about the credit/compensation given to the author. This movie has few over-the-board moments ( will be appreciated only by the guys who have not been to a college like ICE) which have been over-shadowed by the numerous fantabulous scenes.

I have never considered it practical for a movie director to show all the things at the screen , which have been imagined/written by the story teller. Many movies  based on the bestseller books have done quite well in the past and 3 idiots is one more addition to them. However, you ask the one who has read the book before watching the movie. Chances of his replying in favour of the book are much more. The ready examples are "Jurrasic Park" and the "Da-vinci Code". Even though,   these movies were fantasic, but can never be compared to the book. Simply put, they were not able to depict the detailed imagination of author on the screen. Having said all that, I did enjoy the movies too.

I have also bought two books, "अँधेरे  बंद  कमरे" by Mohan Rakesh and "राग  दरबारी " by S.Lal, hoping that
it will keep the link alive with the hindi literature. I used to be an avid reader of the hindi literature till my graduation days when I started reading English literature too. Call it an apathy of we Indians towards our national language or my laziness for reaching to the limited Hindi book stores in Mumbai; I haven't read many after graduation.

Same goes for Sanskrit too. In distant past, I used to be good in Sanskrit literature and was able to read the sanskrit books with very little help from outside. But all of that is a past now and now I find it difficult to even differentiate between "समास" and "संधि". Reading good Sanskrit literature will always remain in my long term to-do list.

Update on last post : Stared going to gym and ran 6 km in two days (Total) and then the inevitable happened. Bunked for next three days including today. Have to make another go from next week. Also, "Suitable boy" is not that suitable for continuous reading. One need to have countless reading sessions spread over numerous days to finish this book.