Jul 30, 2007

Onze Minutos


Yesterday I read this fantastic (was it ?) book "Eleven Minutes" by Paulo Coelho - A surprize change from the Alchemist। I was told by many of my friends that "The Alchemist" was a terrific book. But when I read that last year, I didn't find it very interesting (it was not very different compared to many other self-help books, which in general I do not like).

In contrast "Eleven minutes" was a free flowing, easy read and a vivid story of a young girl coming to the luxurious city of Geneva from a very small distant town in Brasil (not the Brazil as per Maria) searching for the true love, fame and a meaningful life (which according to her was denied to her till that time)। This book peeps through the tender thoughts of maria who lived her life on the very edge of the society by choosing prostitution as her livelihood.



This blog is not the review of Eleven minutes। But I just thought to write about it as I found this book reallly interesting , which one can read in 6-7 hours while watching Tendulkar, ganguly and Laxman, all hitting half centuries against england and missing their hundreds at the same time. Also if you happen to read any of the book by Mr. Coelho, you will most probably end up reading all his books (even though majority of that sounds self help type).

I am going to read "Fifth mountain" very soon hoping that it will have the signature of eleven minutes. Also hope that the indian ballers do something today and win a match in England.

1 comment:

  1. Nice comments.. Ya Coelho is like father to the classic writing and u will find a disproportionate variation in his ideas. Every book of him discover a new face human life. And I was fascinated by how he glorified sex by virtue of prostitution(prostitution.. something that comes out of human misery). I wonder where from he gets his trains of thought.
    The more I read the more I appreciate him...
    ......Ravi

    ReplyDelete